Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Position Title : Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Duty Station : Sana’a, Yemen
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 20 February 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Eswatini, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Head, Project Development & Programme Support, and the direct supervision of the Programmes Coordinator (PSU) and in close coordination with IOM Programme Managers, Field Teams, the Resources Management and Information Management Unit, the successful candidate will oversee all aspects of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) of IOM Yemen projects and portfolios.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Develop IOM Yemen framework for Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) in close coordination with relevant units ensuring proposed arrangements comply with donor requirements.
- Lead the preparation of applicable real-time, mid-term and final evaluations, programmes/projects reviews, participatory impact assessments, compliance with quantitative and qualitative monitoring requirements, and lessons-learned workshops.
- Manage all IOM Yemen’s complaints and feedback mechanisms (CFM) with the support of staff and partners, ensuring that IOM’s policies and strategies on Accountability to Affected
Populations (AAP) are well-reflected, all CFMs are coordinated, and supplement each other without duplicating efforts.
- Build, strengthen, and oversee the mission’s MEAL capacity. Contribute to a graduated learning program on MEAL for IOM staff and partners and thus improve programme quality.
- Guide the process for designing, testing, and regularly reviewing the information and data collection tools, identifying the key performance questions, indicators and parameters for monitoring programmes/projects performance and achievements, for comparing it to program purposes and targets, and for preparing evaluations.
- Provide substantive inputs on IOM Yemen MEAL activities to contribute to external documents and communications shared by IOM with donors, national authorities and partners.
- Draft, compile and/or review monitoring reports, analyze them and identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation and necessary corrective actions; ensure the regular sharing of MEAL findings with relevant stakeholders in the Mission and other IOM offices and departments, and that monitoring data are discussed in the appropriate forum in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the IOM programmes/projects planning, and achievements are recorded in a timely manner based on a Results Based Management (RBM) framework approach.
- Identify and supervise organizations/firms that are sub-contracted to implement third party monitoring, surveys, and studies required for monitoring and evaluating IOM Yemen programmes/projects.
- Undertake regular visits to the field in coordination with relevant units to support implementation of MEAL and to identify where adaptations/corrections might be needed.
- Represent IOM in coordination fora and other meetings as needed.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political Science, Social Science, Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Proven experience with logical framework approach and other strategic planning approaches, MEAL methods and approaches (including quantitative, qualitative and participatory), planning and implementation of MEAL systems, facilitating learning-oriented analysis sessions of MEAL data with multiple stakeholders, information/data analysis and report writing;
• Solid understanding of post-conflict environment and community development, with a focus on participatory processes and joint management;
• Experience in MEAL system design, data processing and computers with familiarity in Result;
• Substantial experience in project implementation and management, preferably with experience in the field of research, monitoring and/or evaluation;
• Based Management (RBM) framework are highly desirable.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
173total visits,1visits today