Tharparkar desert, the most water shaky locale in the country, is facing intense droughts and acute water scarcity for the years 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and again 2018. Deputy Commissioner District Tharparkar, wrote a letter to Senior Member Board of Revenue/Relief Commissioner Sindh within the mild of file of all assistant commissioners of 7 taluka, district Tharparkar, it that letter he proportion that; “Due to untimely and insufficient rains the crop and gross could not be matured up to the mark and there are drought like conditions in the entire district”.
Administration of Sindh proclaimed the Drought in Tharparkar and asked for the concerned divisions for giving the help.
Consistent with coverage if Tharparkar isn’t receiving enough rains until august 14, deputy commissioner is answerable for putting forward the situations and claim the drought. As in keeping with previous records, concerned departments had declared drought for the years 1968, 1978, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2018. As a result, from this history of drought it’s far glaring that Thar wilderness obtain moderate to intense drought with low rainfalls for 3-4 consequent years, every decade.
Drought straightforwardly influences the essential and in addition optional livelihood sources (livestock, rain-feed agriculture, daily labour and commercial enterprise). In line with exceptional survey reports on Tharparkar, 43% of the families are dependent on the agricultural, 31% of the families relied on the cattle, 19% families depending on day by day laborer and only 5-6% households having their primary supply of earnings as normal process or personal enterprise.
In keeping with the scenario throughout the drought situations 93% of the households goes at danger in the context in their supply of livelihoods because of the unavailability of meals, fodder, water, labour work and decline in cattle prices. In the meantime, a majority of these families, both borrows money from household/cash landers or sellout their assets such as livestock etc. to meet the family utilities.
The migration is only copying strategy of those peoples, and the migration is a common phenomenon of all arid & disaster hit areas. Every migration creates numerous monetary, social, cultural, educational and behavioral problems. In every drought communities (mainly bheel and kolhi) compelled to migrate from Thar to barrage area in the search of food, water and fodder for their cattle.
Major Needs of Drought Affected Communities:
Drought is a disaster which affects very slowly, affectees tried to cope the situation and lose all assets.
Following are the basic need of drought affected communities:
- Create and increases the capacity of access to fodder, Vaccination and Drench for Animals.
- Create and increase the capacity of access to food (nutritious) and water (drinkable) sources.
- Proved the temporary employment (cash for work) through rehabilitation and construction of water sources.
- Capacity building of communities on scientific farming of livestock (especial drought package).
- Support to establish and rehabilitate the local business such as handicrafts, skills enhancement, technical skill development.
- Capacity building of local communities on marketing of wild vegetables of Tharparkar, as well as the marketing of the byproducts of wild fruits, vegetables etc.
- Provision of safe drinking water.
- Easy access to Health Facilities
- Special care of Pregnant & Lactating women, New Born babies, Older peoples and Persons with disabilities.
- Create more income generation opportunities.
1100total visits,2visits today